Reflection of a Lonely Cloud

"I wandered lonely as a cloud"

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high over vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the starts that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
The stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of the bay:
10,000 saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves besides them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A Poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed- and gazed- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


Sometimes, I feel like that lonely cloud. Personally, for me my daffodils has come to be Ireland. Before this trip I kind of felt like I was just going through the motions of everyday life. I was happy but just not the excitement or challenge I was looking for. Being here gave me a whole new look on my abilities and has really given me confidence to do new things. It has made me more of an action taker than I was before, which has been something I really wanted to work on. I have felt a lot of comfort here and although my real home, like the dancing waves beside the daffodils, is great and good company there will be nothing better then my trip here. At the end of the poem, Wordsworth talks about laying on the couch in serious thought thinking about those daffodils and how much much pleasure they brought him. And even though I kind of dread going home, I'm curious to see how things have changed or stayed the same. And even, how I will fit back into the culture or how I will now look at it. This laid back, time doesn't matter vibe totally fits me. Although schedules are nice sometimes, I prefer to just let things happen. I have had no regrets and I really can't wait to plan my next trip to Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment