Ireland Has Stolen My Heart.



Another beautiful day in Ireland was beginning. I had come home from another day in the park when received a invite to go hiking. So Lindsay, Eoin, Joe, and I headed out to climb one of the Irish hills only about 10 minutes away for The Park. When I first decide to go, I didn't realized I'd actually be climbing a mountain. We started off on our adventure making our way up the rugged pathway, stumbling over boulders and panting as we struggled to make it up the steep soil. We probably reached about half way up when I turned around to see the most beautiful view of Ireland I've ever seen. The hills went on forever as well as the green grass and trees. It felt so surreal. I loved the feeling of being in the middle of something so natural and untampered with. As I turned back around I saw how much further we had before we reached the tip top of the mountain. It was going to be a challenge but I couldn't stop there. The higher we went the more vertical the rocks would get. At one point I stopped and sat on a rock to catch my breath and when I glanced over I saw two sheep just grazing on the mountain. First, I was amazed that they could climb that high. Then I thought to myself, if sheep can making it up a mountain like this, so can I. I pushed through the rest of the way and made it to the highest rock. As I looked down, I couldn't believe how far we had climbed. We walked along the mountain top, climbing up on big boulders and enjoying the scenic view. The picutes we took were pretty amazing especially the ones where we pretended to fell of the side of the mountain. So classic. In the middle of two of the hills was a lake that apparently was formed by glacier movements. It sat there so still and reflected the clouds as they moved slowly by. We then proceeded to throw rocks down the side of the mountain trying to make a splash in the lake but none of us succeeded. It was apparently alot further away then we thought. After along time of gazing and jumping around from rock to rock we started to make our way down the mountain, which was actually much harded then I anticipated. We finally reached the bottom when the sun was beginning to set and the sky began to have a pinkish hue. When we turned around to look back up at the hills just one more time, I couldn't believe how high we were. I felt so uplifted and accomplished that I was able to conquer something so scary and massive. The day ended perfectly with a yummy dinner and great company.





"The world is too much with us; late and soon"

the world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given out heartsaway, a sorded boon!
The Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everhting, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.- Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in the creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleacant lea,
have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

Before today, I felt somewhat out of touch with nature. At home sometimes I feel all I see is man made ojbects or enhancments, nothing is natural any more. People spend more time sitting inside googling the world instead of going out there and really enbracing it. How can people treat such a beautiful thing like such crap? It was really great to climb and breath in the fresh air of the mountains on such a beautiful day. I can see why Wordsworth was so pissed in his poem. It's hard to see such great things being abused and underappreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment