Say La Vee

So were off to Paris for spring break! what could be better. The week was spent seeing sites, art, eating creeps, and walking my feet to death. The city was absolutely amazing and had such a different feel to it than Ireland. The first thing we did when we got there was gaze at the Eiffel Tower and take about 50 pictures from every angle possible. Really though, I was really impressed with how intriguing the tower was. I never thought I would get so wound up about it. Some people decided to stand in line to get to the top, but I decided to save that for another day and take a look around the city a bit more. I felt everywhere I looked there was something of importance, whether it be a statue, building, monument, whatever. There was just so much to look at and take in.

My favorite night of the Paris trip had to be when the group went out to dinner for a traditional French meal. We were given a three course dinner plus never ending wine and bread. Half way into eating, a man with a guitar and another with a accordion started playing for the restaurant and getting us to sing along a bit. After a few glasses of wine, the room became a bit more rowdy. Everyone was having a great time dancing around with each other. At one point, the guitar man made me get up and have a dance with him. It was silly but after, everyone got really into it and got out of their seats to join in. The best was when Dr. Hosey Dr. McGurk and Fergual took over and started busting out their moves. It was a brilliant night and I don't think anybody wanted to leave. On the subway back to the hotel, Dr. Hosey thankfully changed our meeting time in the morning an hour later just to give us some extra rest time. My feet really appreciated it.

Of course all the art museum were amazing. It was really cool to see real paintings done by artist's like Picasso, Monet, and Renoir. The Louvre was obviously incredible. It was amazing to me to actually see with my own eyes real pieces of artwork that everyone knows like the Venus and Mona Lisa. It was really interesting to me, after a while, to see such a switch of style between all the museums. It went from Renaissance pieces to Impressionism, Surrealism on in to Modern art. I really enjoy the Impressionist artist. The work wasn't so straight forward, I felt it had more character and feeling behind it. The modern art museum, The Pompidou, was really wacky. I've seen modern art before but the stuff they had here was really outrageous, mostly in a good way. One of the rooms had projected videos on every wall of a woman doing kind of uncomfortable things to look at, like rolling around naked, holding a headless chicken, and one of her covering herself in water and paper. It was very odd but for some reason I wasn't very bothered by it. Then there was stuff like sculptures made out of random objects to create one whole piece of work. There was this one was of a woman made of different toys, cloth materials and yarn. Every other art gallery we went to that day was so boring compared to this place. It really was shocking,which I think was the point, but things like that stick with you longer and make you think more compared with some other art.

We had beautful weather while we were in Paris, where it was nice enough I could just wear short sleeves during the day. One of the days we even ate out on this huge lawn just in front of Hotel des Invalides, where Napolean's tomb is. I felt like a true Parisain. Later that night, a group of us decided to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower since it was such a beautiful night. When we go there, the line really wasn't too long, probably only took about an hour. When we reached the first level the sun was just about to go down which I think was the best time of the day to see the city. We got to see everything in the light but also at night when all the city lights began to glow. The view made everything look so intreging. The best part was when we were in the tower when it started to sparkle. Corny as it is, it put a smile on my face.

The trip was totally successful. I feel like I got to see all the big things in Paris that I ever wanted to see and more. I think by the end of it, we all gained a good grasp of the city and I know plently of us that would love to go back. As mush as I enjoy the trip, I was really excited to get back home to Dungarvan.

No comments:

Post a Comment