Walk like a Parisian

On our last day of the trip we had the option to go to Versaille or spend that day as you please. Although Versaille sounded like it would be really amazing, I was really in the mood to have a laid back day pursuing the streets of the city. The first place I wanted to go back to was Montmartre, which is located on a hill in the north of Paris and by far my favorite place in Paris. I think it was one of the most colorful and unique areas of the entire city that I had seen. It was full a crafty shops, cozy cafes, and a square where tones of artiest came to create art and sell their art work on the street.

I was really enthralled with all the paintings that I had to buy a few. A lot of them seemed to depict similar scenes in Paris but it was neat to see how each artist captured it differently. Some were very abstract where is would take a while to figure out where it was painted and other were very simple straightforward pictures mostly of the Eiffel Tower. One of the works I bought was of an alley way with different shops and the Montmartre Basilica in the background. The artist explained to me how she used spray paint the paper to give color to the background. Mine has touches of gold, orange and turquoise on it. Then she would go in with a black pen and sketch the scene. I liked the simpleness of it and gave me a good memory of the area.

Also, that day we spent time in the Salvidor Dali museum. He had such an inventive kind of bizarre style like no other artist I really know and from what I hear he was a pretty strange guys as well. The museum was small but it was nice to walk around in with out a crowd like the big places. There were a lot of sketches of his hanging throughout the room, some of them with specific themes and others just random depictions. I think that sketches tell a lot about an artist because it shows their experimental side since usually they are just practices for something bigger.


The rest of the day was spent pretty much shopping, strolling the city, and eating banana and nutella crepes. The people here really know how to do it right. Sometimes you just got to stop, relax, and observe the world from a small cafe in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment